Monday, July 20, 2009

The Power of Sound in Advertising

I have been conducting seminars and writing about the power of sound/echoic impact in advertising for years. Especially when combined with rhyme, rhythm and melody found in music. There is little in advertising that’s more memorable, impactful or emotional than a good song.

An example of emotion in music…Amazing Grace on the bag pipes at funerals gets me every time. And just look at young women screaming and balling their eyes out at concerts. The emotion of music is more important than we often think as logical businesspeople.

But where has the good music and jingles in advertising gone? It’s almost a lost art. When I conduct my seminars on “The Power of Sound in Advertising” I quiz the audience on a series of 20 different slogans that were embedded in jingles and stingers of famous brands for years, but grace the airwaves no more. In fact one of them went off the air on December 31st, 1971. And yet, everyone in the audience over 45 remembers the jingle, and can finish the song.

That my friends is the power of sound and repetition that creates permanent brand recall. And brand recall leads to brand preference, which leads to brand confidence, which leads to sales, and so on and so on.

And how do you suppose we have learned to recite the alphabet from age 6? We learned the ABCs by singing them. In fact we learned the states, the capitols, and religion through rhyme, rhythm and melody. Religion you say? In the early days most people could not read, so songs or hymns were written to teach the congregations the principles and concepts of the church through music, knowing that words, concepts and emotions sung to music are remembered and recalled easily. Not to mention that words written to music carry far more emotional weight than words alone.

So I was driving home just today, and this old Uncle Cracker song comes on called “Drift Away” and the lyrics just nailed it. I have bolded the lyrics that I feel have particular meaning and connection with people right now, with so much uncertainty and financial crisis. The lyrics first pinpoint the near universal state of mind, and then the real genius; they nail exactly what people are looking for: Escapism, freedom, security, someone to save them and someone to lean-on.

I stress that people seek and pursue freedom and escapism on a regular basis, and they are willing to pay for it. Think vacations, theme parks, cruise ships, movies, books, games, TV, music, sports, the Internet, drugs, alcohol, parties, walks on the beach, you name it, we want to surround ourselves with escapism. And this song is loaded with powerful advertising messages of hope, escapism, freedom, someone or something to believe in, and someone to lean-on. That's advertising.

"Day after day I'm more confused
So I look for the light in the pouring rain

You know that's a game that I hate to lose
I'm feelin' the strain, ain't it a shame

Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Beginning to think that I'm wastin' time
I don't understand the things I do
The world outside looks so unkind
I'm countin' on you to carry me through

And when my mind is free
You know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue
The guitar's comin' through to soothe me
Thanks for the joy that you've given me

I want you to know I believe in your song
Rhythm and rhyme and harmony
You help me along makin' me strong

1 comment:

  1. If you don't remember this, your car may be stolen!

    Imagine that your vehicle was taken! When you visit the police, they inquire about a particular "VIN decoder"

    A VIN decoder: What is it?

    Similar to a passport, the "VIN decoder" allows you to find out the date of the car's birth and the identity of its "parent" (manufacturing facility). You can also find out:

    1.Type of engine

    2.Model of a car

    3.The DMV and the limitations it imposes

    4.The number of drivers in this vehicle

    The location of the car will be visible to you, and keeping in mind the code ensures your safety. The code can be examined in the online database. The VIN is situated on various parts of the car to make it harder for thieves to steal, such as the first person sitting on the floor, the frame (often in trucks and SUVs), the spar, and other areas.

    What if the VIN is intentionally harmed?

    There are numerous circumstances that can result in VIN damage, but failing to have one will have unpleasant repercussions because it is illegal to intentionally harm a VIN in order to avoid going to jail or the police. You could receive a fine of up to 80,000 rubles and spend two years in jail. You might be held up on the road by a teacher.

    Conclusion.

    The VIN decoder may help to save your car from theft. But where can you check the car reality? This is why we exist– VIN decoders!

    ReplyDelete